Friday, November 02, 2018

Honeymoon - Finland: Helsinki - Cafe Regatta - City Sights

Off we went to Café Regatta, a quaint little house by the seaside. It was quite a distance, not a the city centre, so we took public bus and had to walk abit. 



I can't remember what we had, but one was cinnamon bun, the other is some pie with sweet cream.



Now to the sightseeing. They are all within the city area, so we walked to the different locations - Helsinki Cathedral, Senate Square, Tori Quarters, Esplanadi. 

Helsinki Cathedral is huge and very beautiful. It looks like the Supreme Court in Singapore. 
It stands right in front of the Senate Square, a status of Alexander (I think?)…. 
The clouds were low that day, the mist covering the tip of the cathedral. 



Esplanadi - Just a big park with rows of shopping on opposite both sides. 


And the most interesting place in Helsinki in my opinion is … the old market hall! hahah... It's a hall with food/ dry goods/café... 
I think I spent a lot of time inside looking at each shop, figuring what food is that. cause many are unfamiliar to me. 






We settled for lunch here where there was a crowd so we decided to try! It serves soup in a huge bowl, we both shared one, with free flow of bread. It taste different from the usual soup I drink, but it's nice!


We filled our tummy, and off we went to Suomenlinna Fortress, a UNESCO world heritage. 
It shows the history of Finland, where Finland used to be part of Sweden, and also shows the history of their world war. You will need to catch the Suomenlinna ferry over, which was an amazing sight. 
The ferry could let cars in! and not only that, I experience first time in my life, a ferry travelling and crashing through the ice berg on the sea! It was a little bumpy at first, but after that it was fine. 






The fortress is big, but unfortunately I think it's not suitable for winter time, cause there's nothing to see, and it's quite dangerous in some areas as during winter no one maintains the fortress. It was quite icy and prone to slipping. It isn't as beautiful as I thought it would be. The trees are all botak. 








After that, while we still had time, we decided to visit another market - Hakaniemi Market Hall. 
We took a train over... the place was most upscale than the old market hall. More gourmet food. It also sells non-food items like cards/sewing stuff etc.
We had a little tea break there before heading back for dinner. 

Inside the train
We were searching for dinner places, and randomly came across this Japanese joint and decided to settle for that. Been so long since I had some hot and soupy and ASIAN. 
It was really so good! I slurped down all the soup!  



 That's the end of our Helsinki trip. Well, I think I would have spent more time in other areas of Rovaniemi and skip Helsinki as it is just another city and nothing much to do. One day is enough to tour everything. Not my favourite city in this honeymoon. 

Next up is ICELAND!!!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment